Thursday, October 1, 2009

Poor Itchy Puppy (PIP)

Well, today is a rough day for “mom” at work.  My dear little PIP is at home popping Benadryl like a sleep deprived soccer mom.  The pyoderma is driving her nuts!  She is just terribly itchy all the time right now.  I started putting Benzyl Peroxide on her tummy yesterday and finally started her on Benadryl this morning.  She was up several times last night scratching, but didn’t need to go out until this morning.  Thinking back, in the time that I’ve had her she has only had to go out once during the night.  She is getting better about going to bed a bit earlier and getting up a bit later.  We are trying very hard not to develop a set wake-up time.  I do not want a puppy that starts tearing the house apart to wake me up for breakfast at 5:30 on the weekends.  Her training is going well.  Sit and Down are quick, like being shot out of a cannon.  My clicker hand can’t keep up!  We’re working on stand.  Hopefully we’ll get that one down in the next week so we can start practicing stacking.  I know it will be a lot easier for her if she learns it early and hopefully we can avoid defaulting to “sit” in the breed ring.  She is a pleasure to have around, 110 % of the time!  My dad was devastated when I told him that it would be a black puppy that came home with me.  He finally realized yesterday that color is only color and makes NO DIFFERENCE in how wonderful a dog is.  He told her she was perfect yesterday….I had to make the point “oh, you mean you like a black dog?!?!?!”








 

No comments:

Post a Comment